Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Understanding the meaning of a hospital....

I'm sure there are several different meanings to what a hospital is, but I am still learning and find it interesting, and sometimes annoying. #1: It's busy - usually people aren't there because they're healthy. #2: Sometimes we keep people there because they can't go anywhere else... is that what a hospital is supposed to be? God bless social work and those who love those who aren't easy to love.  #3: It can be dangerous. You don't always get patients who want to be in the hospital. It's not as often physically dangerous as it can be mentally, but occasionally you have some confused people who didn't have great lives previously, so you can't change them now that they're confused...  #4: It's nice to be appreciated: When a patient or family tells you thank you or how much they've appreciated what you've done, and you know they sincerely mean it, they're not just saying it because they think they should-but they mean it, and it makes you feel like you did something right-it made it worth it.   #5: It's frustrating when people don't understand your job - they say "I mean, I guess I can kind of see how it would be a hard job" - sorry to have attitude, but really?? come do my job-k??  #6: A lot of people - especially at a big hospital - are working to care for the same person, so the opportunities for miscommunication, error, etc are high, so I'm even more impressed that there aren't more mistakes than there are.  #7: Some people come in sick, go home well. Others- come in kind of sick, get sicker, stay a long time figuring out why - then may or may not go home well-this is sad-but a fact. #8: Dr's have a hard job and they know a lot.  #9: It's easy to just DO it, and not really care - let's not have a hospital where this is the case - let's think, let's care-may I do this. #10: My train of thought could keep going... how are other hospitals? Other countries? What could be different, better? What do I not realize is great? Thoughts, thoughts, thoughts.... long night at work...

1 comment:

  1. Sister---I must share with you--did you know that the Greek translation of the word hospital is "loving the stranger?" Love that, love you, and love that you love strangers every night you're on ACE :)

    ReplyDelete