Rundown of my life the last 28 hours: Get home from work-throw my stuff EVERYWHERE b/c the roomies are out of town. Hmm.. what do I feel like, well, computer first.... I guess I should take a hot shower-HOT-I run all the hot water out. I sit and watch Harry Potter 2 while munching on chocolate chips and pretzels in my comfy pajama's. Let's point out that God was impressing upon me that I should spend time with Him, however, does it look like that happened? Nope. Ohh, not to mention I had a woodchuck cider with my chocolate chips and pretzels. I'm feeling good. Finally fall asleep around 2 pm for about 5 hours. Get up, call mom, eat leftovers, go to the tanning bed, come home, go back to sleep. Until 4 am. Get up, do laundry, clean the house-b/c I had thrown EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE earlier. Get back in bed about 6 am, think about how I should read my Bible, it's lying in front of me, but what happens first???? I fall ASLEEP. Surprised right?! Until 9 am. Wake up, think about getting up. Go back to sleep. Wake up at 1030, think about finding a church to go to closer than mine that's 30 minutes away since I have to work tonight. I get online, look for churches in the area... get to one called Oasis, it mentions live streaming their service, so then it dawns on me, why don't I just watch my church service that is live streamed?!?! So.. I do. And He is oh so faithful to me.
THE POINT OF THIS POST:
I had been realizing I was knowingly sinning against Him. Purposely doing other things that temporarily satisfy me over spending time with my Savior. Can we say Israel in the Old Testament?? So my pastor begins preaching on the narrow and the wide gate in Jesus' Sermon on the Mount. Immediately I begin to think of myself. He said, "Why do people choose the wide gate over the narrow gate? Because people value temporary ease over eternal reward." And I think about yesterday morning, my temporary enjoyment after a few hard days work. Matthew 7:13 says, "ENTER"- entering is a deliberate choice. Then he went to Mark 8:34: "If anyone wishes (desires) to come after Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross and follow Me." Only having the desire to follow Him isn't enough to enter the narrow gate. It requires us also to deny ourself-our desires, die to ourselves (take up my cross) and become a disciple (follow Him). Luke 13:24 says: "Strive to enter through the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able ." He said the greek word strive in english is also translated to agonize. We must agonize, work to enter through the narrow gate. We must go through obstacles, it isn't easy. But what is through the narrow gate? Our prize. Heaven. Eternity with our Creator. 1 Peter 1:4 " to obtain an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you." That's what we strive to go through the narrow gate for. He challenged me not to settle for the wide gate. Or have one foot on the wide path and one on the narrow, but both striving for the narrow.
THEN a friend messages me on skype - we talk, and they ask for forgiveness for some ways in which they hurt me. I've been waiting months for this. I've been trying to forgive them without them even asking for it. And now they are apologizing and asking for forgiveness. And I can't believe it. I'm so thankful, of course I forgive them. It makes it easier when they recognize they're wrong and they ask doesn't it? I'm able to remain friends with this person and I am so thankful.
So, in addition to just the sheer beauty of the way He blessed me today- forgave me today and helped me forgive a friend, I was SO SURPRISED by the way He orchestrated everything. I slept weird hours the last day, but I got up at 10. I didn't leave the house, but watched my church on the computer. If I hadn't been on the computer I wouldn't have been able to talk and have reconciliation with my friend. He perfectly worked it all. HE IS ALWAYS CAPABLE OF SURPRISING US.
Love it Dre. I have been reading through the Bible and am about two months behind, but I refuse to skip to todays date, because I don't want to lose the lessons to be learned from the Isrealites journey. I am right where Moses dies and Joshua takes over. As I have read through the journey of the Isrealites I have to remind myself not to judge because when you think of all they had to do to stay in alignment with God, we have it easy. It is no surprise they constantly fell away, though it seems that it should have been easy to stay true when the Pillar of God was right in front of them, but how often do we stray in our "small" ways. I had forgotten about your blog, but I am bookmarking it now, and will check it more often. Love you girl!
ReplyDeleteYour sis,
Shara