Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Amazed By Grace, How Great Thou Art

It's 8:30 am, I should have clocked out at 7:15, but nope, about 8:15. I'm not even home yet; we don't have internet... so I am in the library at my work to write this post because I was blown away by something a couple hours ago.

Last night... let's say.... was a hard night. Really really hard.

This morning was stressful. Hm, I kind of got spit at, a patient had problems going on we weren't sure how to explain, I hadn't finished even the important charting, much less the unimportant charting.

I go into a patients room to draw their blood and give them their medications. I asked my patient "What is the secret behing long life?" And she tells me something along the lines of "I have always had the Lord as the stronghold of my life." I agree with her and tell her I do too. I ask her what her favorite hymns are. Her daughter starts naming a few, so, naturally in my "Sing whenever I feel like it" manner, I start singing. I start singing "How Great Thou Art." I sticking her with a needle while singing, fun. ;) But she and her daughter loved it. And I was struck in that moment how much singing the song had calmed me too. I went back to the supply room to get another needle, and I teared up for a second as I apologized to the Lord for my attitude through the night and was offered this chance of redemption, of a sweet opportunity to not only sing to Him, but to encourage a sick patient with singing to Him. He had grace on me to offer me those moments at the end of a shift where I had justification to be in the mood I was in, but it wouldn't have been the mood He would have been in. I was amazed at His grace, and I sang that one, and "It is Well with my Soul." And that simple act of singing to them as I drew my patients blood may have, and they expressed it did, totally change their morning. I had the opportunity to be a blessing above and beyond my normal nursing duties. Thank You Lord.

The daughter is coming prepared with names of songs for me to sing tonight. ;) I told her I would sing one each time I came in the room to do something. We'll see how it goes, but I'm looking forward to it. Now, I need to go trust my grace-giving God to give me restful, deep sleep and wake up super refreshed 6 hours from now. I love You Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment