Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Pouring Out the Water

I typically use Google Chrome web browser. When I open up Chrome, it brings up 8 different options of websites for me to go to first, the websites I visit most. However, occasionally I have to use Internet Explorer. I set up Explorer to have my Homepage be the devotional by Oswald Chambers: My Utmost for His Highest. This devotional has probably been one of the most impactful devotionals in my life. No matter when I read it, I don't read it every day, but when I read it, the Lord will challenge me with Oswald's thoughts. So yesterday I had to open up Internet Explorer and the devotional came up. I ignored it for the moment, but I can't escape that Holy Spirit's conviction of the fact that I haven't set aside time for the Lord yet. So several hours passed, and I did other things, and then I still came up to the devotional. So I finally read it. http://utmost.org/pouring-out-the-water-of-satisfaction/

15 David longed for water and said, “Oh, that someone would get me a drink of water from the well near the gate of Bethlehem!” 16 So the three mighty warriors broke through the Philistine lines, drew water from the well near the gate of Bethlehem and carried it back to David. But he refused to drink it; instead, he poured it out before the Lord. 

As I read the devotion, I had a hard time comprehending what Oswald was saying. I thought I may be getting the gist of it though. He was discussing that whatever blessings we have been given lately, "love, friendship, or maybe some spiritual blessing," that those things are to be given back to the Lord. Poured out. He posed the question, Am I taking those blessings as only satisfaction for myself? Or am I giving/pouring them out before the Lord as David did in the passage above? He longed for water, and the soldiers went and got him water, but then David did not drink it, he sacrificed/gave/poured out the water before the Lord. 

I have been pondering the meaning of this the last 24 hours. Curious as to what blessings I have noticed in my life recently that I have taken for my own satisfaction and not poured out before the Lord. I've been sick with a bad cold for several days now. And my friends have been so gracious to me to either wish me well thoughts of healing, or even offering and planning to bring me things that I need-medicine, food, kleenex, etc. Also, I am planning a trip to India. And my friends and family have supported me so wonderfully for this trip, and some specifically even informing me of their desire to also help support me financially for the trip. As I was on the phone with my friend Andrea earlier and she was offering to bring me anything I needed since I was sick, I exclaimed to her how great all of my friends have been. AND IT HIT ME. That's the thing I need to pour out; the blessing of friendship and love l have been receiving so abundantly over the last few months. And I understood what Oswald Chambers meant! So I stopped what I was doing, and stood there, and thanked the Lord for this incredible blessing, but told Him I wanted to give it back to Him. To sacrifice it down before Him. I think I still have a ways to go to learn what that actually looks like. But that is my hearts desire. To be faithful in sacrificing back to Him the blessing He has given me. 

So if you've been a part of the Lord's blessing to me of friendship and love, thank you. And I challenge you to question in your own life the things that the Lord has blessed you with that you can pour out back to Him. 

1 comment:

  1. You are beyond sweet and amazing my dear friend. I am glad that you had a good amount of time to ponder over such a powerful verse and am glad I can learn from it through you :) Feel betterrrr!

    ReplyDelete